Thursday, March 1, 2012

Death of Fiction? - How about Rebirth instead?

As I was sick last week, I was scrolling through a double load of readings this week. And I ended up being the most intrigued about Ted Genoways's article just as most of the others as well.

I liked Genoways's writing, I found it extremely hilarious and deliciously sarcastic. The tone seemed refreshingly un-American to me. Yes, I get chills from overly positive and praising writing style that the Americans seem to be so fond of. It makes me roll my eyes every time. Sorry. Genoways's dry style made me giggle to myself several times.

I agree with Genoways view on literary publications struggling to find funding and becoming extinct one after another. A few years ago when I begun my blossoming university career, I had never ever heard of literary publications. I would say it is because they are not necessarily "out there". They are not sitting on the bookshelves at bookstores under a big sign saying "NEW". To me, they are found through exhausting search engines accessed through the university web pages. Sometimes you get lucky and find something interesting. Mostly you just find yourself staring at unbelievably-hard-to-read articles that cease to grasp your interest. Your eyes feel tired after ten seconds and you start to feel sleepy. Yes, literary articles are for homework and essays. Boring. Who would want to edit stuff that makes the reader fight agaist falling asleep?

As Genoways states in his articles, the future seems glum for printed press. True. But change is not always a bad thing. Wouldn't you rather drive a new convertible with all the latest gimmicks and technology, than an age-old Volkswagen that should be in the museum and steer clear of the highways? As society changes, we will adapt to changes, some do it very fluently, some with less grace, but most of us will get there eventually. Therefore, also the printing press needs to adapt to the need of these modern times. I used to read the Sunday paper. Nowadays I read every day rather than only on Sundays. But my reading experience takes place online. I enjoy well-designed web pages and it does not take any value away from my experience. It's just a different way of consuming the words. And who knows, when we get fed up with all the gadgets and the endless firework of technology, we might go retro and march to the bookstore.

No comments:

Post a Comment